[Scribus] GIMP and the future of Open Source DTP

John R. Culleton john
Mon Feb 6 23:29:36 CET 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 03:06 pm, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 06.02.06, 18:37 +0100 schrieb Tino Schwarze:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:23:59PM -0500, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> > > This post might sound a bit "off-topic" but I think the following link
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/photoshop_on_linux/
> > > is worth reading, and discussing.
> > >
> > > In short: a growing number of people are demanding that Photoshop be
> > > ported on Linux. The GIMP, which apparently lacks Color Management and
> > > full CMYK support (although I understand there are plug-ins for that)
> > > is not yet suitable for pros.
> >
> > Well, CMYK support is a long-standing item on the TODO list. And it will
> > be done when they move to GEGL (which will bring support for all kinds
> > of color spaces and color depths).
> >
> > I'm also one of those waiting for a decent CMYK-supporting image app on
>
> At least some teams are working on it. CinePaint is a "older" app
> supporting Cmyk. Next comes Krita to mind. With its Qt interface Krita
> is not so far from Scribus.

It doesn't seem to be the same kind of app however. Scribus is
more of a DTP application like Quark. Krita is more of a painting
program.

I did find by accident that there is a pdf version of the Krita
manual. I am downloading it now.  I'll have more comments after I
have RTFM.
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: