[Scribus] Index generation ala LaTeX

avox sent by Nabble.com lists
Tue Feb 7 02:59:22 CET 2006

John R. Culleton wrote:

> I do indexing for money and here is what I do:
> 6. I mark up the file with eplain-style indexing tags. Sometimes
> I use a mass change in Gvim to find all the occurences of a
> particular item and optionally surround each with indexing tags.
> 7. I run the file through TeX and the resulting foo.idx file through
> makeindex.
> 8. Optionally I run the file through TeX with the appropriate
> eplain switch set on to get a ps file with the index items noted
> in the margin of each page. I use this to check to be sure all
> major topics are covered. Ideally in a text-heavy book there are
> six index items per page but that is a goal and not a requirement
>
> The makeindex parameter file yourname.idx can be tweaked to provide an
> on output file foo.ind that can be directly imported into your target Scribus
> document.

Ok, so Scribus would need to:

a) allow marking of index entries (with parameters). Currently it would be
    difficult to come up with a user interface for this, but maybe charstyles
    can be abused for that in the future.

b) allow introduction of index markup with the search & replace dialog.
    Should be no problem.

c) create a suitable input file for makeindex. Should be no problem.

d) Run makeindex from Scribus, similar to what's done with gs at the moment.

e) import the result via gettext.

The only problematic step is a). Do you have ideas what it should look like?
Would you index in StoryEditor or on canvas? Would you like to use mouse or
rather the keyboard? Are any specialized views needed?

/Andreas
Sent from the Scribus forum at Nabble.com.