[Scribus] Strange problems printing PDFs in Linux

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue Feb 7 14:01:36 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 13:28, Rob Kemp wrote:
> Hi. I am using Mandriva 2006 LE, with the distribution-supplied
> scribus-1.3.1-4mdk.
>
> I have laid out a double-sided A4 leaflet which I am attempting to
> print out on a Samsung colour laser printer. On the front of the
> leaflet there is an image frame which is filled with a maroon
> colour, and into this I have imported an image that I created in
> Inkscape. The image is basically a rectangle with a curved top on a
> transparent background.
>
> When I try to print the leaflet from the Scribus-created PDF file,
> different things happen depending on which program I use to print
> it.
>
> If I use Acrobat 7 under Windows, the leaflet prints out perfectly
> - including the image on the cover. Using Acrobat 7.0.5 under
> Linux, however, produces a printout in which the 'shoulders' of the
> image - i.e. the transparent bits above either side of the curved
> top of the image - appear darker than the background of the image
> frame.
>
> If I use xpdf, the image prints out as a rectangle - i.e. the
> curved bit disappears.
>
> I can see that this is impossible to explain in words so I have
> uploaded a copy of the pdf file here:
>
> privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~rpkemp/leafletXXX.pdf
>
> ... in case anyone is kind enough to want to have a look.
>
> Another oddity about using xpdf is that the logo that appears near
> the bottom of the cover, which ought to be on a transparent
> background, comes out as a black rectangle when printed out. Only
> in xpdf, though.
>
> Sorry if I haven't given enough (or the right) details. As you can
> probably tell I'm an amateur.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob

Hi,

Yes, I see the issue here too. It very well could be a bug in Acro
Reader on Linux or a printing setting you are using.

First xpdf has limited support for transparency in pdf 1.4, so I am
not surprised the transparency is black. This is noted in the docs
very clearly.

In your particular file, I would need to see the source files and
images to see what is going on. Please feel free to mail them to me
offlist.

Peter