[Scribus] Importing multi-page pdf (2)

John R. Culleton john
Fri Feb 10 19:29:07 CET 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 09:29 am, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Friday 10 February 2006 15:12, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 February 2006 04:02 pm, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > > Yes but we don't need a kludgy solution. Ghostscript provides all we
> > > really need.
> > >
> > > Craig
> >
> > OK let me look at the problem from the other end of the
> > telescope. I want to create Scribus pages for parts of the
> > document and TeX pages for other parts. The page sizes are all the
> > same. In general the tool psmerge will only merge pages created
> > with the same tool, and sometimes not then. I can
> > import pages into a TeX document, but that is a bit tricky.
> >
> > Using either PostScript or pdf files (I can convert to either of
> > course), what is the most foolproof method of merging the pages?
> >
> > I am on Slackware Linux.
> Why not generate your TeX pages to PDF and place those PDFs into image
> frames in your Scribus document? With a decent resolution they should print
> fine. run a few tests and see.
> Craig

I did a little further research and ran some simplistic tests.
One recommended technique for merging PostScript Documents is to
simplty catenate them with the following line in between each:

false 0 startjob pop

I tried that with alternating ps files, one printed from Scribus
and one from TeX and dvips. Initially gv would only see the first
document.  So I used ps2pdf. Now the entire document is readable
by gv. I reversed the last step and ran pdf2ps. Now the
Postscript document is much smaller and it still works. But in gv
the margins were pulled in and I had to change it to a letter
size document in gv. Now it displayed the results but with poorer

I think just merging the PostScript pages as above, converting to
pdf and leaving it that way is the ticket. But I will need to
find out if a print shop can accept the pdf document.

The advantaqe of the catenate procedure over the one you propose
1.It is easier to merge large multipaged documents,
2.There is no degradation of the fonts.

I can see advantages the other way as well, such as page

John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: