[Scribus] Prefs>Miscellaneous ...

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Wed Feb 15 02:04:09 CET 2006

Craig Ringer a ?crit :

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:07:10PM -0500, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>
>>The paths to Prefs are dazzling. It used to be in Settings > Prefs
>>(1.2.x). Now, it's in Edit > Prefs. I'm allright with this. But why
>>changes in Prefs don't reflects in the current document? It confuses
>>me. I didn't figure out that there was a Prefs dialog in the File
>>menu under File > Document Setup... I filed a bug for this. It turned
>>out that there is no bug because of this File > Document Setup
>>thing... But I still find this confusing.
>>
>>It confuses me as a user, and also as a translator. There are 2
>>menus, with different names, for basically the same thing.
>

> I've been concerned about this myself. I am inclined to think that the
> division is necessary - DTP users *need* document-specific preferences
> and settings much more than other app users. However, the current
> situation is IMO insufficiently clear. The single best step would in my
> view be to just add one line of text at the bottom of the dialogs that
> say something like:
> 	"These settings will only affect the current document"
> and
> 	"These changes will only affect newly created documents"

I am naturally inclined to prefer a little sentence that tells it all.
So, this is an interesting way, imo. if we want to keep the 2 dialogs.

2 dialogs still are a problem imo because they are not exactly
identical... Some changes can be applied here.. some not.

The problem here is users are unaware that another prefs dialog exist
somewhere else.

I fully agree we need both generic specs and document specs.

Is there a problem having this ? la Quark? Basically, with no document
open (like for font path in Scribus) the changes will affect all new
documents. When working on a document, the specs can be edited to suit a
specific need and these new settings will remain attached to that
document. A dialog will warn you if there are any changes and if you
want to keep document settings or apply the app settings.

> Imperfect, but then the old situation confused users a lot too ("I
> changed this setting, but when I closed the document it went away"). I
> don't think we can remove this functionality as it's IMO important
> people - thus we just have to mitigate the confusion it causes.
>
> Any other suggestions on how to make it less confusing?
>

>>I will do my homework and get back with something substantial on
>>Hyphenation, Tracking, Widow/Orphan control, Handling of Text. I
>>struggled! The book is not what I can call a difficult task. Only
>>text. Although a little long... But nothing to choke a DTP app.
>>Nothing. Really!
>

> Scribus is weakest with its text handling IMO, with regards to both
> functionality and performance. There's work going on to improve both but
> it's not fast as the folks doing it only have so much time. More help
> is unlikely to hurt.

I realize my comment sounded a bit rude. Sorry about that. I am not
complaining at all. I just decided to give it a shot and it was not as I
expected it to be. Having made this book leads me to a better
understanding of what is strong and what is not in Scribus. And I will
take the time to propose or at least identify what works and what
doesn't. That is the only help I can provide. I am no power programmer.
Kind of power user, if I may say that like that! :-)

Cheers!

Louis

--
Louis Desjardins