[Scribus] Prefs>Miscellaneous ...

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Feb 15 21:12:33 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 20:43, Riku Leino wrote:
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > OK, sorry, I thought you wanted to add a check box to each tab or each
> > item. But i still can't see what would be won. The user would always need
> > to take care if "general" or "document" is selected. Having both options
> > clearly separated and clearly named/documented, is most likely less
> > confusing and "cleaner" IMHO.
>
> Exactly, I suppose i didn't make this clear enough. My suggestion was just
> to make those Craig Ringer's static warnings have some function. There
> would still be these two different preferences but one could also apply
> changes to both by only editing a setting in one place.
>
> Think about a situation. If you want to make the default font for a text
> frame to Adobe Caslon from Times New Roman.
>
> 1. You have a document open where you'd like to apply this change.
>
> 2. You'll need to go to the "Document Setup" and there change the font.
>   --> applies only to the current document
>
> 3. You'll then need to go to the "Preferences" and make the exactly same
> change.
>
> With my suggestion 2. and 3 can be made to a single step.
>
> 2 b) You only need to go to the "Document Setup" where you do the change
> and then click on the "Warning Check box" which says "Apply also to the
> General Preferences" and now clicking ok will also apply this new change in
> General Prefs.
>
> Here's the win. User only needs to do things in one place for minor changes
> like this and won't get annoyed when he starts to work on a new doc and
> notices that he forgot the step 3 originally and he now must do the steps
> 2. and 3. again.

And if he wants to make two changes but is only sure he wants to apply one to
prefs?
The only clean way is to then:
Open, Make 1, close, apply to prefs
Open, Make 2, dont apply

or.. failing..
Open, make 1, 2, close,. apply.. oops.. open prefs fix
or
Open, make 1, 2, close,. cancel, and go to scenario 1.

Craig