[Scribus] Prefs>Miscellaneous ...

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Feb 15 21:18:40 CET 2006

Hi Riku,

Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 20:43 schrieb Riku Leino:
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > OK, sorry, I thought you wanted to add a check box to each tab or each
> > item. But i still can't see what would be won. The user would always need
> > to take care if "general" or "document" is selected. Having both options
> > clearly separated and clearly named/documented, is most likely less
> > confusing and "cleaner" IMHO.
>
> Exactly, I suppose i didn't make this clear enough. My suggestion was just
> to make those Craig Ringer's static warnings have some function. There
> would still be these two different preferences but one could also apply
> changes to both by only editing a setting in one place.
>
> Think about a situation. If you want to make the default font for a text
> frame to Adobe Caslon from Times New Roman.
>
> 1. You have a document open where you'd like to apply this change.
>
> 2. You'll need to go to the "Document Setup" and there change the font.
>   --> applies only to the current document
>
> 3. You'll then need to go to the "Preferences" and make the exactly same
> change.

At this point, I would ask if this does reflect the reality of most workflows.
I suspect the answer is no, unless one only works for one company with a few
standard fonts, and in this case, the most used font would be chosen in
general settings. The advantage of separating document and general prefs is
flexibility plus clear separation.

> With my suggestion 2. and 3 can be made to a single step.
>
> 2 b) You only need to go to the "Document Setup" where you do the change
> and then click on the "Warning Check box" which says "Apply also to the
> General Preferences" and now clicking ok will also apply this new change in
> General Prefs.
>
> Here's the win. User only needs to do things in one place for minor changes
> like this and won't get annoyed when he starts to work on a new doc and
> notices that he forgot the step 3 originally and he now must do the steps
> 2. and 3. again.

To be honest, I don't see a win here. See above and my previous posting. I
think the likeliness of confusing both settings and messing things up is
bigger in the setup you suggest. But then, this is only my personal opinion.
I can live with both options :)

Cheers,

Christoph