[Scribus] New Word importer

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Feb 21 19:49:28 CET 2006

Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2006 19:36 schrieb PLinnell:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 18:58, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > today I installed a current cvs with the new Word importer and also
> > antiword to make it work. Distro is SuSE 10.0. Antiword is
> > installed under $home/bin. Now, doc is in the file list for text
> > import, but I can't import a single Word file (text frames remain
> > empty).
> >
> > Under my SuSE 9.3 antiword is in usr/bin and everything works fine.
> >
> > Any ideas on what's going wrong.
> >
> > I also noticed that the Word importer doesn't recognise paragraph
> > styles as the sxw/odt importers do. Is this a limitation of
> > antiword?
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Christoph

Hi Peter,

> Hi,
>
> As soon as www.scribus has one more issue sorted, I will have Suse
> 10.0 rpms for antiword which do work.

Thanks for that. It's not really important for me since I am using OO.o
anyway, but probably for others  ...

> The idea of antiword is to strip all the style stuff out and get plain
> text. So, OO is better if the styles are important.

Hmm, so antiword must be regarded as an interim solution? I noticed on the
bugtracker that the PDB importer has used some code from AbiWord. Wouldn't it
be possible to do this for DOC as well (And WPD)? AbiWord and KWord are out
there, and the importer doesn't need all the features, only text formatting
and paragraph styles.

> cheers,
> Peter

Cheers,