[Scribus] [OT] Re: 'Adobe will release a full feature version of Acrobat for Linux.'

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b
Thu Feb 23 21:24:15 CET 2006

Am 23.02.06, 13:52 -0600 schrieb Nathan Turnage:

> On Feb 23, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > What are your concerns regarding little cms? Which version is install
> > for
> > you?
> >
> > In a side by side session with PS and CinePaint on osX, I had no issues
> > with plain CMYK files. Images appeared nearly identical. To be fair,
> > PDF
> > rendering is obviously different.
>
> I think my problem is more with qtmonitorprofiler. You can only do a

Ok you speak about the Lprof project which is, since a while, different
from lcms. The original author, Marti Maria, does not any longer work on
the open source version of this application. While lcms is continued by
him. Lcms is a CMM and includes some commandline utils. It is used for
instance in Scribus and CinePaint for theyre colour rendering and
transformations.

> blanket edit on in the value for each channel. There is no way to
> adjust for the tone of the channel. It is similar to the old profile
> editor that came with PS < 6 for OS9, but IMO, the way that rough
> profiles are created in OSX is much more accurate for setting a monitor
> profile, so you can adjust multiple points on the curve. With the way
> that lcms is currently set up, you are just pulling on the midpoints.
>
> Something that makes me a little uncomfortable doing color correction
> on linux, that some may consider a strength, is the reliance on
> profiles. I really just want to be able to calibrate my monitor
> properly and run without profiles in all but my image editor. Without a
> way to edit the standard profiles in (or outside of) Scribus, I feel
> like I am leaving too much to chance. I don't use any of the standard
> coated or uncoated Adobe profiles for printing.
>
> In PS I use a profile that goes something like this: SWOP coated inks,
> 20% standard dot gain, UCR, black ink limit 85%, total 300. I find no
> way to set up this profile for my images. I do use the standard Adobe
> RGB (1998) profile for RGB. The thing is that unless you have a
> colorimeter to set your own profiles for all your devices, you are
> really just shooting in the dark.
>
> What colorimeters work in linux, and what software do I use to create
> my own profiles?

These are the serial ones like Spektroline/-scan, DTP 92, DTP 41 ...
For USB devices are no drivers downloadable. But you can ask the
manufacturers and hopefully GMB/Xrite will make them available.

To create profiles you can use Lprof and the commandline profiler Argyll.
No foss applications, that I am aware of, have jet started to edit
profiles for inside use.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management