[Scribus] Color model and Gimp.

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Feb 24 01:27:34 CET 2006

Hi John,

Am Freitag, 24. Februar 2006 01:09 schrieb John R. Culleton:
> Scribus documents can be saved in the CMYK  color model.
>
> Suppose I buld a document and add an image built with Gimp, which
> only works in the RGB color model. I finish the document and
> save it as e.g., tiff.
>
> 1. Is the imported image now expressed in CMYK model?

No.

> 2. At what point does the conversion occur, when the Gimp image
> was imported or when the Scribus document was written out?

It wil be converted when export to PDF and choose "printer" as destination.

> 3. Are there limitations or preferences with this conversion
> process in re. using a tiff vs. a png image to be prepared in
> Gimp and imported by Scribus??

It's not the import/export process, it's the file formats themselves. PNG can
only consist of 256 colours, so it's of few to no use for photographs. It is
only useful for screenshots or other graphics with only a limited colour
range. The advantages of PNG: lossless compression and transparency.

HTH,

Christoph