[Scribus] Crash and export problems.

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b
Wed Jan 18 16:24:05 CET 2006

Am 18.01.06, 10:15 +0800 schrieb Craig Ringer:

> Note that you can always use GhostScript to produce raster images from
> your PDF file output. This might be something to put up on the docs
> site. Here's the sort of gs command line you'll usually want to use:
>
> gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=tiff24nc \
> -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r300x300 \
> -sOutputFile=FILENAME-%d.tiff FILENAME.pdf
>
> Here, -r300x300 says "render at 300 DPI".
>
> -sOutputFile is the destination file(s). If the filename contains "%d",
> the %d is replaced by the page number being output. This is useful for
> rendering multi-page files.
>
> -sDEVICE=tiff24nc tells gs to use a TIFF renderer with 24 bit colour.
> This will be suitable for many uses. Other devices
> you're likely to want include:
> 	tiff32nc:	32 bit colour TIFF image

This is a the Cmyk variant, you could load into CinePaint. Dont forget
to assign the ISOcoated profile to it. Then the image should look like on
a standard offset press, a good RIP with default settings or like in PS.

> 	tiffgray:	Greyscale TIFF image
> 	tiffsep:	TIFF, separated into plates
> 	jpeg:		RGB colour JPEG
> 	jpeggray:	Greyscale JPEG
> 	psdcmyk:	CMYK Photoshop document (yes, modern GhostScript versions can write Photoshop documents!),

psdcmyk loads as well into CinePaint since version 0.20-2.

> 	psdrgb:		RGB Photoshop document

The RGB output variants I found most often not that impressive, except for
spot colours. But this is maybe a question of taste. What I did not test
are the gray variants and the tiffsep output within CinePaint.

> You can use `gs -h' to get a listing of all supported devices in your
> verison and build. Unfortunately they don't come with any descriptive
> text and there are some extremely obscure ones in the list, plus output
> formats for various printers, so it can be a long and confusing list.
> The ones listed above are some of the more common ones you'll need.

I've created a PDF loader plug-in for CinePaint, hence the infos above. It
is a wrapper around Ghostscript. If people are interessted please let me
know. I just think about putting it in the next release (in some days).
Just, it is not that much tested.

> If you're using GhostScript for this, get the ABSOLUTE LATEST VERSION.
> I cannot stress this enough. Each version of gs advances significantly
> in PDF processing ability - and you should use Scribus's PDF output, not
> it's PostScript, with gs.

Yes, the AFPL 8.53 or redistributable GPL 8.50 are to recommend.

> Thinking about it, I should see what it'd take to have Scribus provide a
> UI for using GhostScript for these transformations. It shouldn't be too
> hard to do, and might benefit users considerably by providing
> press-quality document rasterisation.

Thats an good idea. To have an easy way for checking Scribus internal view
against the external Ghostscript rasterer may show some surprising things.

For instance Scribus renders CMYK images with the attached profile, if
available. Thats colourimetrically ok. But Adobe Reader and Ghostscript
will show completely different results. The later follow the current
paradigm not to touch CMYK colours.

good Scribus/cinepaint-remote'ing ;-)
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management