[Scribus] Tutorial reference

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Jan 26 08:28:52 CET 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 01:43, Mark Nowiasz wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2006, 01:33 +0100 schrieb Craig Bradney:
> > Don't believe that for a minute.. in many schools where I am from
> > (Sydney), > many primary schools, mostly private ones, all kids will have
> > a laptop as > required by the school.> > Now, if I was coding when I was
> > 8, which I was, do you really think I wouldn't > know how to play around
> > in a DTP app?
>
> Don't think so ? DTP is much more complex than using a editor, at leastif
> you do it right. You should know something about typography (likekerning,
> fonts, serifs, ?), color managment and know a little bit aboutthe black
> art. DTP programs are quite specialized tools which are muchmore complex

They don't have to learn about colour management and they don't have to learn
about typography in detail, but they can have fun making their school
projects or party invitations etc etc.. just because its page layout, don't
make it sound scary compared to a word processor. TBH, given the bloody
aweful layout tools you get in a WP, they would have more success with a
layout app like Scribus.

You shouldn't take things away from them if they are interested (if its good
and with moderation).. hell, my 20 month old girl knows words in 2 languages
(English and Luxembourgish) for 90% of the words she knows, she will know the
equivalent in German with 2 years and she will add French in later primary
school (thats just the way its done in Luxembourg, plus she gets English
early because of me). Shes not the slightest bit confused.

Craig