[Scribus] Libertine Open Fonts releases LinuxLibertine 2.0

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat Jan 28 20:08:00 CET 2006

Hi John,

Am Samstag, 28. Januar 2006 20:01 schrieb John Jordan:
> On 28 Jan 2006, at 18:09, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/
>
> Christoph,
>
> Sehr sch?n!
>
> You have done a tremendous job! It is beautiful! I can't wait for the
> rest of it to be finished!
>
> I am a student of linguistics and have been looking for a good
> Unicode compliant font that is open source, attractive, and
> complete, including the typographic niceties that are necessary for
> publishing - like true small caps, ligatures, and so on. LinLibertine
> looks like it will become my favorite!

I haven't done anything except posting the news here. ;)

But I'm sure the developers will appreciate your praise :)

> Ich habe aber ein Paar Fragen:
>
> 1) I have an OpenOffice.org Writer test document with a table
> where I listed all the characters of the IPA. I did it in a table so I
> could select just the left column where the IPA characters are
> displayed, and then apply different fonts to the row in order to see if
> a font has all the characters. When I applied LinLibertine to the left
> column some of the characters are blank (to be expected at this
> point in the development), most have the LinLibertine character,
> and others display the character but in some other font. When I
> select one of these weird characters the toolbar still says it is
> LinLibertine. But the font is a san serif that looks like a system
> font. I don't understand how this can be. If the character does not
> exist in LinLibertine it should just be blank. Either that or, if Linux
> is substituting a system font for missing characters, then it should
> have done so for the other missing characters instead of leaving
> them blank. This puzzles me.
>
> 2) I am curious why you did not make this an OpenType font so
> you could enable the automatic glyph substitution for ligatures and
> so on that is a feature planned for future releases of Scribus.
>
> I'm going to use the font for a while to see if I find any bugs or
> problems. In the meantime, thanks for doing such a beautiful job.
> You are an artist!

I recommend asking Philipp directly: PhilTheLion at users.sourceforge.net.

Cheers,

Christoph