[Scribus] Setting a thesis in Scribus (ver. 1.3.3.2 dev)

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Jul 13 02:36:15 CEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 13. Juli 2006 02:06 schrieb Nik:
> > Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: avox <avox at arcor.de>
> > Subject: Re: [Scribus] Setting a thesis in Scribus (ver. 1.3.3.2 dev)
> > To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
> >
> > Nik-4 wrote:
> >>Hi Marek,
> >>
> >>I don't actually agree with a previous post that Scribus is not the
> >>appropriate tool for you.
>
> I still stand by this - particularly in light of the features coming in
> 1.3.

Nik, how can you recommend a software based on features that are yet to come?

Marek was asking if Scribus is the right tool for his job _right now_ and it
isn't. Look at the features he asked for! Don't get me wrong, I think Scribus
is great. It just isn't the right thing for scientific works, and neither are
Quark or InDesign. Maybe you haven't written a larger scientific piece of
work in your life. I have, an 800 page Ph.D. thesis, so I think I have at
least an idea of what is required here.

LaTeX, LyX, FrameMaker, CorelPublisher, RagTime, OpenOffice.org, StarOffice,
WordPerfect, TextMaker, even Word are better suited for this kind of job than
any DTP software. This doesn't mean it couldn't work -- it could, but it
would simply be a waste of time. Add the issues with huge amounts of text in
a file (issues to be solved on the way to 1.4), and you will clearly see that
Marek would have to hit a nail to the wall with a telephone receiver --
another wrong tool for a job that nevertheless might work.

> However, having just had a look at LyX, I can see that it could
> also work well for a large structured document - particularly if you are
> not working collaboratively, so I would second the recommendation that
> you have a look at it, in case it fits your intended workflow better.
>

> Cheers!
> Nik.

Cheers,

Christoph