[Scribus] Some basics?

Matt Savigear mcs_scribus
Sun Jul 16 10:06:22 CEST 2006

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:41:14 +0200
"Christoph Sch?fer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> Short answer: No. The capabilities of Scribus with respect to
> structured documents are bit weak at the moment. We may, however,
> hope for many improvements in the future.
>
> I advise you to search the archives, the topic must have been
> discussed a hundred times or so here, the last time a few days ago.

Thanks, I was floundering for suitable search terms earlier but I'll
dive in again this morning.

> In fact, TeX/LaTeX can do _anything_ with respect to text formatting,
> layout etc., if properly used. They are as perfect as software can be.

..except wrapping multicolumn text around a wide float, which is the
only thing causing me real pain! Actually you can even do this but you
have to manually rebuild the margins on every affected column which
isn't practical.

> > Of course, what I'd _really_ like to be able to do is import LaTeX
> > documents into scribus for layout. That would be very neat indeed!
>
> Wait until Andreas returns from his super-secret lab, the face black
> of smoke and smacking of sulfur ;)

Sounds exciting! I'm wondering about an export process for LaTeX which
will produce the structure (e.g. section numbering) but not the
typesetting for import into scribus. Time for some research...

Regards and thanks,

Matt.