[Scribus] Several reasons why columns will stay per frame in Scribus; was: Why do?

BandiPat magicpage91
Tue Jul 25 14:57:26 CEST 2006

Louis Desjardins wrote:
>> [...]
>> We'll get into the details later, after I've had time to do a bit of
>> research on some other things.  Simply add an entry to the menu under
>> Insert.  Insert>Columns or Page Columns, however you want to distinguish
>> it to make it clear for new and you old Scribus experts.  Experts,
>> that's funny.  (insert a Beavis & Butthead laugh here) A window pops
>> open.  How many columns, much like you have now for the text frame
>> columns, how much gap, linked?  It doesn't require much, because once
>> they're placed on the page, the Properties box takes over for other
>> automatic controls.  Otherwise, the user can link them, unlink them,
>> move them, adjust them to their liking or need.
>>

> Please refer again to the "New Document" dialog. Most of what you say is
> missing is there already.
>
> ? A window pops open. How many columns, how much gap, linked? ?
>
> I know for sure, as I said in my previous post, that this feature could
> be enhanced (and this is already on the bug tracker) by Master Pages
> that would allow for more flexibility, including more options on linking
> to current text chain.
>
> I really wonder what is so wrong (hard to learn, unintuitive, difficult)
> in the way it is, that it has to be thought all over again? Can't it
> just be enhanced?
>
> Louis
>
> ==============

You are wrong Louis.  It's not there and why do I want to start a new
page each time just to get columns I can't use like I want too?  Another
thing, since you brought it up, I didn't, as I suspect many here didn't
or still don't know, the text frame columns were there until someone
mentioned it!  How intuitive is that?  I looked that window over, but
didn't see it!  Is it because of the naming of the feature?  Was it
because it was ghosted out?  But even if I had found it, I would have
thought it still wasn't working because it doesn't give me the result I
expected.

If they can enhance that area for Page columns also, I think that would
be nice, but a user should be able to add anything to their pages after
they've been created without having to start a new page or document
too.  That's why I think an addition should be added to the menu.

Pat

--
          ---SuSE Linux v10.1---
        Registered Linux User #225206