[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

peterd pral
Wed Jul 26 00:36:24 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> Scribus, Quark or InDesign are intended to do the layout for books, magazines,
> flyers, whatever, but not for editing texts (content). If someone uses Quark
> for editing a text, he's using definitely the wrong tool.
>
> That's a problem many people seem to have, confusing a layout software with a
> text editor or a word processor. A DTP software is introduced at the end of a
> workflow to combine text and graphics and to produce aesthetical and
> print-ready files for the RIP.

I agree.

As I pointed out in my last post Scribus is a compositing and
typesetting tool (ie layout).

Earlier this week I contacted the local 'copy centre' to price out a
'cheap' printing job.  Not only did the person I talked to have no idea
what pdf's and picas were but could only except copy that were either M$
Word or Publisher files.

Hmm... does that tell me that M$ has redefined DTP? and that those who
err, learned Publisher (as part of M$ Office) see that app as state of
the art DTP?

I'm wondering if this thread has started because of  'experience' with
M$ Office / Publisher?

Peter