[Scribus] Generating PDFs

Michael Eager eager
Fri Jun 2 17:40:16 CEST 2006

Tino Schwarze wrote:

>>>Scribus generates very large PDFs to make sure that every detail is as
>>>expected.
>>
>>It seems extraordinarily large.  It's a distinct disadvantage
>>compared to files generated by other programs.  Documents which
>>take a long time to download or print are less desirable.
>>
>>Documents which don't print are even less desirable.  :-)
>

> What's the resolution of your pictures (they're not part of the .sla
> file, they are only referenced therein)?

Most figures are text frames.  There's only one SVG graphic.
No pictures.

> You could try to convert the PDF to PS using pdftops from xpdf.

The resulting PS file truely huge, about 12x the PDF.  It doesn't
print either.

There's a large number of "curveto" operations in the PS file,
as if instead of printing letters from a font, it was drawing
each letter separately.  I don't see any text in the PS file.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077