[Scribus] offtopic: microsoft must pay to adobe to include pdf export capability

Khiraly khiraly123
Mon Jun 5 15:03:41 CEST 2006

Hi!

Its a bit offtopic, but anyway;)
Why Microsoft must pay to adobe if wantto include pdf export capability
to microsoft office?:

Is pdf/X-3 not an accepted iso standard, or am I misread something?

What I have found:

Patent clarification notice:

Reading and writing PDF files
Adobe has a number of patents covering technology that is disclosed in
the Portable Document Format (PDF) Specification, version 1.3 and later,
as documented in PDF Reference and associated Technical Notes (the
"Specification"). Adobe desires to promote the use of PDF for
information interchange among diverse products and applications.
Accordingly, the following patents are licensed on a royalty-free,
nonexclusive basis for the term of each patent and for the sole purpose
of developing software that produces, consumes, and interprets PDF files
that are compliant with the Specification:

U.S. Patent Numbers:

? 5,634,064
? 5,737,599
? 5,781,785
? 5,819,301
? 6,028,583
? 6,289,364
? 6,421,460

In addition, the following patent is licensed on a royalty-free,
nonexclusive basis for its term and for the sole purpose of developing
software that produces PDF files that are compliant with the
Specification (specifically excluding, however, software that consumes
and/or interprets PDF files):

U.S. Patent Number:

? 5,860,074"
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/support/topic_legal_notices.html

Can somebody clarify me, why for example scribus dont need to pay to
adobe for example?

Khiraly