[Scribus] [OT] ASCII Characters

John R. Culleton john
Fri Mar 10 01:18:33 CET 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 11:10, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> --- Nicholas Vettese <nvettese at pdistributors.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering where I can find a list of the ASCII characters using
> > the Windows Alt+xxxx keys.
>
> I do not follow your question. If all you want is a list of all ASCII
> characters, "man ascii" works on Linux, and probably other free Unixes.
> Or, a Google search should find such a list.
>
> Regards,
> Gora

"man ascii" will get you the original 7 bit ASCII set. For the
extended (8 bit) ASCII set you need another source, such as ISO
8059-1 (per the ascii man page.)

In TeX and hopefully in Scribus one can get at a character by
using an octal, decimal or hexadecimal incantation. But the
different encodings have different placements. The TeX utility
program testfont.tex will, when compiled, interactively ask for
the name of a font and then generate a table of the various
locations of the glyphs in that particular encoding.

Turning to the start of this thread, if you ever have need to
indicate 3 feet 6 inches in a document then the shorthand form is
3' 6" and those had best not be curly quotes. So Americans at
least appreciate the "straight" option.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: