[Scribus] Good Book for Newby Designer?

Owen rcook
Mon Sep 4 04:24:17 CEST 2006

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 10:55:57 +0100
Tony Cowderoy <tony at cowderoy.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book on design, in English, suitable for a
> beginner who knows quite a lot about software but not much about
> professional design?  I don't want a "how to design with package X"
> book.  I want one that is about design, not software and I'm looking for
> something that starts with basic principles but also goes into quite a
> lot of depth.  Any suggestions?

here is a summary so far of responses;
"How to Do Leaflets, Newsletters & Newspapers" by  Nancy Brigham
 Publisher: Writer's Digest Books (June 1991)
 Language: English
 ISBN: 096290676X
"Exploring Typography" by Tova Rabinowitz
 Publisher: OnWord Press (Acquired Titles); 1 edition (February 21, 2006)
 Language: English
 ISBN: 1401815057
"The elements of graphic design" by Alex W. White
 Publisher: Allworth Press; 1st edition (November 2002)
 Language: English
 ISBN: 1581152507
"Design with type" by Carl Diar
 Publisher: University of Toronto Press (June 14, 2000)
 Language: English
 ISBN: 0802065198
"The Non Designers Design Book" by Robin Williams
 Publisher: Pearson Education; 1st edition (January 15, 1994)
 Language: English
 ISBN: 1566091594
"The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" by Edward Tufte
 Publisher: Graphics Press USA (Jan 2001)
 Language English
 ISBN: 0961392142

Maybe the list could be wikified if thought desireable.

Owen