[Scribus] Postscript files

Howard R. Hansen hrh1818
Tue Apr 10 16:58:08 CEST 2007

Craig Bradney wrote:
> [...]
I am more inclined to believe Andreas was right when he said the vendor
was probably talking about XPS.   The following section extracted from a
Wikipedia article leads me in that direction.

  XML Paper Specification

       From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The *XML Paper Specification* (XPS), formerly codenamed "Metro", is a
document storage and viewing specification developed by Microsoft
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft>. The specification itself
describes the formats and rules for distributing, archiving, rendering,
and processing XPS documents. Most notably, the markup language for XPS
is a subset of XAML
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Application_Markup_Language>
for Windows Presentation Foundation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation>, so that
the methods used for rendering Windows applications can be used for
documents.

XPS is viewed as a potential competitor to Adobe
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe>'s portable document format
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_document_format> (PDF), due to
its ease of use, ubiquity in future Windows OSes, and a smaller download
in current OSes.^[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Paper_Specification#_note-0> PDF
includes dynamic capabilities, and will not be replaced by XPS when such
capabilities are needed.

Microsoft has indicated that devices aiming at /Premium/ level of
/Windows Logo/ conformance certificate will be required to have XPS
drivers for printing by June 1, 2007.^[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Paper_Specification#_note-1>

XPS is shipped with Microsoft's Windows Vista
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista> and has the support of
office printing system companies^[/citation needed/]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources> such as Canon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Inc.>, Epson
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epson>, Hewlett-Packard
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewlett-Packard>, Ricoh