[Scribus] Some ideas, and some clarifications maybe.

Richard eyelagui
Wed Dec 5 14:19:36 CET 2007

> Yes, both PDF/X-3 and PDF/X-1a do require embedded profiles. In both
> cases, though, you still need a good profile for at least your monitor
> to get useful results. Without a display profile the profiled data
> embedded in the PDF is inaccurate since what you saw doesn't match what
> the computer thought you saw. You will have been picking colours, doing
> colour correction, etc based on an inaccurate preview.

OK, in this case i meant off course working with color profiles
installed, otherwise............
I tryed to explain about the fact that the print shop does not need the
same program, monitor, etc... that you're using or force you to use
their application. (as they ask you here in my country!!!!)

> The current version of SVG isn't much good for print anyway. It's 8 bit
> RGB only with no facility for colour management. If you're confident
> that both your application and theirs will treat the SVG as having sRGB
> colour (and the sRGB gamut is wide enough for your work) then it might
> be OK. I don't see the attraction myself.
>
> Then again, I've never dealt with a printer who wants CorelDraw files.

I was trying to send a black and white graphic!!! so, limitations may be
bad enough, but on B&W?
And CorelDRAW here seems to be the only thing. Do you imagine a 120+
pages catalog made in CorelDRAW with 4 to 10 embedded pictures on every
page?, (some are 150x150mm/120x120px while others 10x10mm/1200x1024px,
nuts uh!), ... yes... a 580MB file.
I'm "translating" it to scribus now...
And this is not every case, but almost everyone does things like this.
(here in my country)

>> in the past when playing around, sometimes i have made "by eye calibration", took a printed work, then adjust "on screen" colors, playing around with monitor adjustments
>> until my screen went as close as the printed version as possible.
> I'm sure there are circumstances where by-eye calibration can be useful,
> but personally I think that if you're spending any money on printing
> you're nuts not to get a hardware calibration device.

You're true!!!, but i meant not to be working like that and sorry about
the confusion, i only tryed to make some pictures to be printed closer
to reality and using my own monitor/printer/scanner. This example was
bad enough...
>> Even better if there is any software to make proper adjustments, always the
>> best choice is to use a color scale rather than a photo or drawing to be
>> sure every color gets similar.
>>

> That I agree with. I have no idea how you managed to adjust the monitor
> for just one colour, though.

When doing that i had a Vodoo Banshee video card (that PCI monster with
16MB of SDRAM running at 100MHz) and it had a color by color adjustment,
also, my actual Nvidia has a channel by channel adjustment, so if i want
more red, i can have it. I don't know if you meant about that. Also i
used to dissasemble monitors to play around with colors right from the
circuitry, that gived me some nice ressults when trying to get two of
them on the same scale. Again, it is not a good idea to work like this,
it was just me and my schyzo...

Best greetings.