[Scribus] Scribus Wiki: Last Call for "Success Stories" for 2007

John Beardmore John
Thu Dec 13 03:53:28 CET 2007

Maciej Hanski wrote:

> Maciej Hanski wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I would like to invite those of you who have successfully utilized
>> Scribus in your DTP projects this year to  add a few words about
>> hers/his experience with Scribus to our "Success Stories" in our Wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories
>
> We have received five really nice success stories since this "last call"
> (from Brasil, Germany, France, the US -- among others, there is this
> kind offer http://tinyurl.com/35t5cn of cost-free professional DTP
> support for NGO's and charities, so if you work for such an organisation
> and need a helping hand with Scribus, don't wait till December 24:).
>
> But I'm quite convinced, there must be more of this stuff out there, in
> particular I wonder whether we could get such reports from countries in
> which we know for sure Scribus has some strong supporters (e.g. Czech
> Republic, India, Russia...). Now it is your time to show off:) If you
> don't feel like writing in English, you may even write your success
> story in your language and we will surely find someone on this list to
> translate it into English.
>
> cheers
> Maciej

OK then, from the UK, feel free to use as much or as little as you like
of the text below.  You have permission to use my name and / or company
name, or not, as you see fit.

And thank you everybody very much !!

Cheers, J/.

I stumbled on Scribus more or less by accident, and having got fed up
with paying Adobe for software, where the bugs mostly didn't get fixed,
I thought I'd give it a try.

Our work is mostly sustainability, environmental and renewable energy
projects, either as a 'Social Venture' or voluntary enterprise, so cost
is important as well as functionality.

I loaded 1.3.3.9, and with the exception of one bug that I raised in the
very supportive email list, it has performed flawlessly, and printed
very well.  That's actually a lot less buggy that Pagemaker or InDesign,
though I grant we can no longer afford the upgrades to the latest
versions of those products.  I'm also delighted that Scribus is cross
platform as we are slowly moving to Linux, and we can collaborate with
others, without having to pay extortionate rates for extra licenses for
occasional users !

The first complete document I wrote in Scribus was a solar water heating
system manual, nearly 40 pages long, with a lot of pictures.  It has
been very well received, and will bring us in new work.

We are already preparing a number of other documents in Scribus.
Scribus has become our main DTP tool for all future projects.

This has been a superb experience for us.  I thought it would be years
before Linux had a tool like this, and its being cross platform is a
massive bonus !  Well done !!  I'm really looking forward to the next
stable release, though there's very little wrong with 1.3.3.9 !  Given
that software can always be improved, the exciting thing is just how
good it might get in a few years.

Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme Registered Assessor
P:0845 4561332  F:0870 0522417  M:07785 563116  Skype:t4sustainability