[Scribus] Second try: Differences of character style Scribus <-> OOo-Writer

avox avox
Wed Dec 19 22:36:47 CET 2007

Akki Nitsch wrote:

> Hi everybody on the list,
>
> i send this message a few days ago but didn't realise that the
> attachment was too big for mails on that list.
>
> Well, i've uploaded my illustration on my website:
>
> http://www.akki-n.de/images/character_styles_oowriter_scribus.png
>
> and still want to make sure i got the difference between character
> styles in scribus and OOo-Writer right.
>
> My question: did i got everything right. Any comments on that
> illustration - could i illustrate it better?

Hi Akki,

I have some difficulties interpreting this diagram. What differences do you
want to document?
Available style properties, at what places styles can be applied or how the
the "based on" chain works?
Also, what is the exact meaning of the arrows?

>From first glance I'd say that the OOo diagram describes the Scribus
situation better than the Scribus side.
But it's missing the "based on" hierarchy.

Maybe I'll just summarize the Scribus rules for Paragraph and Character
styles:

First of all, any attribute can be overriden by direct formatting. There are
special broom icons which allow to clear all direct formatting from a text
selection.

This is how Scribus determines the value of a Paragraph style attribute:
1. if there is direct formatting, use that
2. if the current paragraph has a named paragraph style, look up the
attribute there:
2a. if the parent style defines this attribute, use it
2b. else, if the parent has a "based on" grandparent, continue the lookup
there (same process as 2,2a,2b,2c)
2c. else lookup the attribute in the default paragraph style
3. lookup the attribute in the story's default paragraph style

The lookup for Character style attributes is a little more complicated:
1. if there is direct formatting, use that
2. if the current characters have a named character style, look up the
attribute there:
2a. if the parent style defines this attribute, use it
2b. else, if the parent has a "based on" grandparent, continue the lookup
there (same process as 2,2a,2b)
2c. else lookup the attribute in the default character style
3. lookup the attribute in the current paragraph's character style:
3a. if the paragraph style defines this attribute, use it
3b. else, if the paragraph style has a "based on" parent *in the character
section*, continue the lookup there (same process as 2,2a,2b,2c)
3c. else, if the paragraph style has a "based on" parent *in the paragraph
section*, continue the lookup there (same process as 3,3a,3b,3c,3d)
3d. else lookup the attribute in the story's default character style

Effectively that mean that Scribus has two inheritance lines:
one is using style names and "based on" attributes as defined in the
StyleManager, the second starts
with direct formatting and uses the nesting line: characters < paragraphs <
stories < document.
Both lines end with the document default styles.

Some of the subtleties may be changed later. For example, the story level
styles are not used at the moment (they are currently the same as the
document default styles).

HTH
/Andreas