[Scribus] Paint or vector graphics program with charcoal drawing emulation

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki
Mon Dec 24 11:29:30 CET 2007

Hi,

Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi Hedley,
>
> On 12/23/07, Hedley Finger <hfinger at handholding.com.au> wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to draw with a 'charcoal stick' in The Gimp or
>> Inkscape.  Or can anyone recommend a (preferably open-source or
>> freeware) graphics program that can emulate a charcoal stick drawing
>> on a rough paper.
KIPI-plugins do have a charcoal filter, used by programs
like digiKam, KPhotoAlbum, Showimg, and GwenView. None of
those do vector drawing, but if you make an image in
inkscape, export as .png, open and edit in say digiKam you
could obtain a "charcoalized" effect.
Krita seems to use some of the KIPI's, but not this one though.
There is a plugin for Gimp called "charcoalify" which
probably has similar effects;
http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=192

> Another way is to create a filter yourself and save it as a brush then use that.
This is the long way of trial and error many do wander.
I saw a phrase in the Krita handbook: "But you could ? with
a lot of work ? create a paintop that reads Corel Painter
XML brush definitions and uses those to determine how
painting is done." Don't know if anyone has done that but
since the brush definitions are in XML and CorelPaint has
zqrillions of brush effects it might be worth it.

> I think somebody will be able to help you out if you post a "picture"
> - an example - of the effect you are trying to achieve.
An example would be helpful.

Cheers

Sveinn ? Felli