[Scribus] Scripter API

Henning Schröder henning.schroeder
Tue Dec 25 02:46:51 CET 2007

Hi!

On Dec 24, 2007 11:18 PM, Joachim Neu <joachim_neu at web.de> wrote:
> > Joachmin, have you seen http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/ScripterNG ?
> > There was some discussion about the API as well.
> Yes, I saw it and read almost everything (except "Comparison with
> Kross", I'll read it if I have time left).
Actually you cannot design an API without knowing about what is
possible with the different approaches.
For example with ScripterNG and Kross (as far as I know) you cannot
have exceptions. So error handling means
to rely on functions which return False or None/null.
Exceptions could be added with an additional wrapper on the Python
level or perhaps they could be emulated with
special signals/slots.
On the other hand binding generators like Swig, Boost and Pyrex do not
support Qt-signals, -slots and -properties.

> I tried to integrate your ScripterNG to my SVN-trunk-checkout but it
> didn't work. I got lots of errors with missing python-.so-files on
> startup of the plugin, so I gave up after about an hour. Maybe you have
> some time to help me in the future.
Yes building is a pain currently :( I still have to learn more about cmake.
The problem is that the build rules in sciribuspyqt create conflicts
so I had to compile this directory separately.
The problem finding files could temporarily be solved by putting the
.so files in a directory which is $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and $PYTHONPATH....

I really hope to fix this during the following free days. Feedback
would be welcome.

Henning