[Scribus] What is an S font?

Brian Astill bastill
Wed Dec 26 00:07:08 CET 2007

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 06:01:55 pm Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 December 2007 02:19:26 Brian Astill wrote:
> > In Scribus Preferences, all but three of my installed fonts
> > are marked with the Tt truetype symbol.  Those fonts are
> > accessible.
> >
> > The remaining three - Gargi 1.7, Comix and Fritz - are marked
> > with an S and are NOT accessible.  I can see no difference in
> > type, location, permissions or ownership of these three
> > compared to the other, available, fonts.
> >
> > Advice, anyone?
>
> Its a substituted font, where the document that is open
> references fonts that you do not have installed on your system.
> You can set permanent substitutions or temporary ones, and this
> allows you to still work on a document (with a slightly
> different look) as compared to the original. Perhaps your
> document was created on another PC and the fonts need to be
> copied over (potential licence issues).

I think you have misunderstood.  Those S fonts are available to
(eg) Open Office, KOfice and Abiword.   There is no question  of
their not being installed.
Yet if I open a new document in Scribus 1.3.4 or in !.3.3.9 those
fonts shown as S in an existing document are  simply not listed
at all.
Clearly Scribus is not recognising 3 fonts in a directory while
recognising many others in the same directory, while other apps
have no such problem.

--
Regards,
Brian