[Scribus] Generating funds for and from the Scribus community

Pueblo Native pueblonative
Wed Jul 4 13:13:59 CEST 2007

Cedric Sagne wrote:
> IMHO the purpose of selling merchandise and collecting funds is obviously
> serving both goals.
> The use of theoretical money is not really an issue - bandwidth, promotional
> material  for events, as suggested, printed material for events no one may
> be able to attend physically.

It's not so much the use of the theoretical money as it is putting down
the description of the use of that money somewhere so all interested
parties know okay here's what we are doing with it.  I've learned the
hard way about what happens when you spend without a budget!

> Awareness would grow through the logo on physical objects, at our
> employer's, business contacts. From this awareness that something else
> exists out there and that this "something" is OpenSource curiosity will
> come.
> My opinion is that one of the major obstacles on Scribus's marketing route
> (YES marketing also applies to things that have no price tag) is developing
> a brand and be acknowledged as something that simply exists and deserves to
> be known.

If you don't understand marketing apples to the non profit as well as
the profit area, you really need to sit in on a pr course, but a brand
is going to be more than a t-shirt seen at a convention.  Your going to
have to hit product, package, price, place and promotion as well.  This
could be a big step in awareness but it is just that, a step.
> A year and a half ago I googled like crazy for DTP Software, hoping I would
> find something in my budget, and my bosses, who until now only worshipped
> Indesign are now aware I use "this opensource DTP called Scribus... hey for
> something free it's really good, had never heard of it before".

How many people in your business really are aware of "open source".  As
you pointed out, they're more interested in the price than they are in
examining the code.  So what somebody needs to do is look at the terms
that people are googling for (DTP, Desktop Publishing) and work like
crazy to see that Scribus is at least in the top 5 pages, if not higher.