[Scribus] silly idea for pr...

avox avox
Thu Jul 19 16:05:25 CEST 2007

Iami wrote:

> Hi,
> that might be a very (I mean VERY!) silly idea, but still....
> What about putting high priority on developing a really good xml scheme
> for
> Scribus and then apply for it to be approved as an ISO standard?

I dont think we are up to proposing ISO standards... dont you have to be a
member?

Of course it
> would need to define many features that Scribus doesn't (yet) cover, but I
> think that would not be a problem. You could design all the features you
> would like to have in Scribus in the future, and then slowly (well
> hopefully
> quickly... ;-) implement them in Scribus.
> Advantages (in an ideal case): put pressure on Adobe and Quark to
> implement
> this format at least as an export feature, thus improving compatibility
> between different apps, and having scribus as the first (and probably
> only)
> app to use the new standard as their primary format.

I'm not sure of that. There are already standards like ODF and FOP which
arent
supported as export options in Quark or Indesign AFAIK.

> Just a thought... (I'm very good in having ideas and thoughts that mean a
> lot
> of work for other people while I can't really help them in getting it
> done...
> sorry ;-)

... and that's the main drawback.

Another drawback would be to have a standard as primary fileformat. That
limits
your flexibility in developing your application in a significant way.

That said there are other options for exchanging data between DTP apps:

- ODF or a subset thereof
- the native XML output of InDesign
- Quark XTags
- some homegrown XML+XSLT scripts
- SVG
- PDF

Also direct import/export of DTP fileformats is only important for
migration,
not for workflows. I dont know if lossless import of DTP fileformats would
even be possible since the DTP applications' featuresets are so different.

I think it's more important to enable good workflows,
eg. OO.o + InkScape + Gimp -> Scribus -> PDF

Currently it's more important for us to improve the import of textformats
and PDF, and implement export of tagged PDF, PDF/A etc.

/Andreas