[Scribus] How to print?

avox avox
Sun Jun 3 15:52:59 CEST 2007

BandiPat-2 wrote:

> Gregory Pittman wrote:
> [...]
>>> Ok, that prompted me to take a look in the ~/.scribus directory Andreas.
>>>   I found only a tmp.ps file printed from 1.3.4, obviously the file I
>>> tried printing as I've only done one.  Do you suppose the file is being
>>> put there as tmp.ps and Scribus is calling the wrong file to print?
>>> Rather than the original name of the file, it's renaming it to tmp.ps,
>>> yet the command to print is using the real name?
>>>
>> When you print without saving to a specific name, Scribus creates the
>> tmp.ps file and passes the printing job on to the default or whatever
>> you've chosen. After it prints, it's supposed to delete the file (if
>> you've chosen to print vs. simply save as a file).
>>
>> Greg
>
> Ok, again, I was curious, so decided to print the tmp.ps file via the
> shell command.  It worked, printing the file I had attempted to do
> earlier from Scribus.  It wanted to print page after page of the same
> thing, but yet it did work with the lpr command.  Printing directly from
> Scribus causes the printer to output pages, but blank ones, no printing.
>   For some reason, it didn't remove the tmp.ps file as it should have.
> That could be another problem the developers need to look at.

That's interesting. As Greg already mentioned, the bug that multiple copies
are printed is fixed in the meantime.

Scribus uses mostly the same code for printing to file, printing directly or
printing with a custom command. For the latter two, the file
~/.scribus/tmp.ps
is created. It is not deleted directly after the print, since some print
commands
do not copy the file and rely on it to exist for some time. It's only
deleted when
you print another file from Scribus (yes, there's a flaw in that logic).

For using a custom command, it executes <custom command> + " " + <filename>.
When printing directly, it uses "lpr -P" + <printer name> + <cups options> +
" " + <filename>.

Can you check the CUPS options you have set? That's the options button next
the printername combo.
Maybe CUPS has a log which tells us what options Scribus uses?

/Andreas