[Scribus] Barcode generator price suffix.

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Jun 9 15:53:33 CEST 2007

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 09 June 2007 07:18, william f. maddock wrote:

>>> It's included in Scribus packages already. The GUI frontend can
>>> be found at
>>> menu: Extras > Barcode Generator
>>>
>> Right. Found that. Now to figure out how to use it. It didn't send
>> anything to the printer, nor did it provide anything to place in
>> the document. I'm on Mac OS X 10.3.9, by the way.
>> _____ _________________________
>> http://www.lulu.com/billsey
>>

> I sugest as an alternative the bookland.py program found at:
> http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland
>
> It provides the optional price code add-on. The current Scribus
> program doesn't. bookland.py runs standalone but someone cleverer
> than I could probably tie it to Scribus. It will generate from either
> 10 digit format or 13 digit format and will calculate the check
> digit.  I can enter:
> bookland 978-1.60019-001-*  >test.ps
> and get a 2007 style barcode and human-readable legend on top.
> Or I can enter
> bookland 978-1.60019-001-*  51995 >test2.ps
>
> and get the same bar code but with the price extension and associated
> bar code.
>
> The resultant eps file can be imported into Scribus and placed like
> any other graphic.

Someone with a little Python experience could probably make a script to
generate this within Scribus.
Here is the one I wrote for Postnet codes:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Generating_a_Postnet_barcode
Postnet codes are surely more simple, in that they just consist of a
series of lines all the same thickness, but 2 different lengths. But
there is also this correction code to deal with.

Once you know the specs for the code you're interested in, you can just
draw a series of lines on the document, then add to the script whatever
other elements you like.

Greg