[Scribus] GUI: behaviour of touching frames

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Jun 23 22:03:29 CEST 2007

Jim Killock wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The behaviour I would most like changed is the way touching frames are
> selected in the GUI.
>
> = Scribus =
>
> (i) Select object, get resize handles. Grabbing edge of selected object
> A to resize, where the edge touches unselected object B, will select
> object B where object B is stacked higher in the layer
>
> = InDesign / Quark =
>
> (ii) Select object, get resize handles. Grabbing edge of selected object
> A where the edge touches unselected object B will NOT select object B
> where object B is stacked higher in the layer

This goes beyond touching frames. In general, ID and Quark tend to
follow the rule "if it's selected, you probably want to interact with it
not something near it". This means that you can, for example, select a
frame that's under three others, then manipulate it as normal.

You can't do this in Scribus; you have to always use the modifiers to
say "no, I still want to manipulate the frame I selected not the
top-most one". This is one of the biggest things that slows me down
working in Scribus.

In general, I think existing selections need stronger priority for
interaction, as if they are on top irrespective of their real stacking
depth. That includes moving, resizing, double-clicks, etc.

--
Craig Ringer