[Scribus] Wordprocessor -> Scribus - but somewhat difficult

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Jun 26 15:07:18 CEST 2007

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2007 01:19, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>> On 6/24/07, Michael Engel wrote:
>>
>>> I searched for "italic fonts" and just found that there are some
>>> reasons not to have it included - but this is not understandable
>>> for the non-professionals.
>>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Word_Processing_vs_DTP
>>

> It is interesting that TeX was not mentioned in the Wiki article. It
> is an Open Source DTP application with a large number of users.  And
> one can use italics there, e.g., "{\it Here is italicized text.}"  It
> is in many ways more complete than the Scribus described in the wiki
> article since footnotes, bibliography references, cross references,
> math formulae, TOC, indexing,  variable running headers etc. are
> provided for.

These are the strong suits for TeX - handling large amounts of text,
with easy formatting of various sections, plus mathematical formulas.
But it's not as good with complex layouts, and handling of graphics is
rudimentary.
> There are horses for courses of course and the kind of things I would
> use Scribus for are different from the kinds of things I would use
> TeX for.  I am not pitting one against the other, but merely
> suggesting that it deserves to be mentioned in the wiki.

I'll look and see where I might put a note or two.
> Surely there is a way to use italics in Scribus?

My understanding, and I'm someone will correct me if I'm wrong, is that
Scribus presents italics and other modified fonts when they are included
in the font configuration. Other programs can "fudge" an italics style
by modifying the regular one (I think this is what \slshape does in
TeX), when needed. When Scribus loads a font it makes sure that all the
proper metrics are there for each font and font style, otherwise it
considers it broken.

Greg