[Scribus] Wordprocessor -> Scribus - but somewhat difficult

John R. Culleton john
Tue Jun 26 19:29:31 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 13:02, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> John R. Culleton schrieb:

> >> It's not mentioned because TeX is a typesetting engine, not a
> >> word processor.
> >
> > Quark and InDesign are mentioned, and they are certainly not word
> > processors either.

> >> If typesetting is the same as DTP for you, then, yes, TeX and
> >> its children are DTP applications.
> >
> > Since TeX in its Context incarnation will also do some amount of
> > imposition  then I wonder what is lacking to make it a dtp
> > application in your understanding.  I am not arguing, just
> > asking. Is it the lack of a built-in text editor? The lack of
> > WYSIWYG?
>
> It is the lack of totally control over the layout: TeX places
> images *somewhere* where it thinks they fit, but I have not realy a
> chance to says that they have to appear exactly here or there.
>
> >> BTW, many Scribus users and
> >> certainly the developers and contributors know TeX very well ;)
>
> I have to use LateX/TeX every day in the university ... and I hate
> it ... ;-)

I hate LateX also, which is why I use plain pdftex or Context for most
apps. LaTeX has turned more people off than I can count.  It is too
verbose and too dedicated to a specific type of document.

> > Yes, I was only questioning the wiki article.
>
> TeX isn't a DTP app - because the lack of control.

I have been able to do finegrained control in TeX with commands such
as positive and negative \vskip, hskip, \kern and so on. It isn't
nearly as convenient for placing graphics as e.g., Scribus but it can
be done. For exact placment there is always pstricks. And my
customers prefer the superior typesetting of TeX even in
graphics-heavy books. But in general TeX is more abstract, mor
automatic ---it will try to make the graphics placement decisions for
you. This is handy on long documents where the customer wants to
change the font size or insert extra text after the job is laid out.

Things like fitting text to an irregular shape etc. are so complex as
to not be worth doing in TeX. But they can be done via metafun, a
facliity of Context.  Scribus shines in such tasks.

> TeX isn't a
> wordprocessor - because of missing WYSIWYG, missing Editor and so
> on and so on and so on. TeX is a typesetting engine, not more and
> not less.

And I never suggested that TeX was anything like  a wordprocessor.
TeX follows the Unix-like philosophy of separate tools for separate
tasks. I use the strong editor Gvim to drive my process, with F keys
assigned in Gvim to compile the text in TeX and display the resulting
pdf in Kpdf. This is my form of WYSYIWYG.  Kpdf will automatically
update to the latest version of the pdf and hold on to its current
page position.

> Feel free to add a section about typesetting engines to the wiki -
> beside TeX, I would also suggest XSL FO ....

Don't know that program.  I'll look it up.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters.