[Scribus] Transparent tif bug and related thoughts

Aurelien Roux Aurelien.Roux
Thu Mar 1 13:37:59 CET 2007

Le Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 04:29:22AM -0800, avox a ?crit :

> aurelien-7 wrote:> > Hi !> > My Machine is an AMD64 3700+ with 2Gb DDR, X800 GTO 16 graphic card,> under Debian AMD64 SID with scribus-ng 1.3.3.8.>
> nice! :-)

Quite, yes !

> > I use no compression at all and the highest quality both in scribus and> Gimp.> > > Firstly I've tried to use a version of the background @ 150 dpi.> So in the pdf export option, I've set resample image to 300 dpi.> This export took a few seconds (10 max), and gave a 72Mb file.> > > Then, I've tried resampling this image from 150 to 300 dpi with the> Gimp. It took me 29 minutes to resample and save this image in tif> format. The tif generated weights 272Mb.> I put this image in my scribus project, I've unset the resample option,> and I've exported it. It took something like 30-40 seconds, and> generated a 275Mb file.> > > So, there's something I don't understand. I'm supposed to do almost the> same thing here, but with two different ways. I'm supposed, finally, to> get an image sizing 84x59.4cm? @ 300 dpi.> How can the two files be so different (weight), and why does Gimp takes> so much time to do what scribus do in a few seconds ?>
> Given the different filesizes it's no surprise that the times also differ.Pure binary data is (84 * 300 / 2.54) * (59.4 * 300 / 2.54) * 4 = 278383260B,so it looks as if Gimp is correct here. My guess is that Scribus refuses to upsample your data and leaves that tothePDF renderer, which is probably a good choice (it just takes storage withoutproviding any more information; and if the PDF renderer chooses to resamplethe data again for some reason, the result will be worse)

Ah, OK, that's very interesting. I'd thought that it should be possible
that scribus just write the correct resolution in the pdf, but I
couldn't see how it finally worked.
That's quite clever, hu !
OK. However, the bug is here, and I've to make it resample by Gimp, at
the moment.

Just a final question : when it's so, does scribus force the pdf renderrer
to resample anyway ? Cause the printer agency with which I'm gonna work
is not very -I don't know the word, but they don't say much-, and didn't show
me they were technically very accomplished, so, as they want 300 dpi for
this poster (that's even something strange, hu !), I've to be sure they
will find the poster @ 300 dpi.

Aur?lien Roux

Doctorant (PhD)

Laboratoire d'Acoustique de l'Universit? du Maine
UMR CNRS 6613
Avenue Olivier Messiaen
72085 Le Mans Cedex 9
France

--------------------
Tel (bureau) : (33) 02 43 83 35 89
Fax : (33) 02 43 83 35 20
Email : Aurelien.Roux at univ-lemans.fr
http://laum.univ-lemans.fr
http://www.univ-lemans.fr

             /   Chiffrez et signez vos messages  \
            |        Utilisez les cl?s GnuPG       |
            |                HOWTO :               |
            |  http://vilya.org/gpg/gpg-intro.html |