[Scribus] the meaning of the "Use ICC Profile" option

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Mon Mar 5 00:34:34 CET 2007

Hi,

On Sunday 04 March 2007 20:51, Riku Leino wrote:
> > Can some developer explain the meaning of the "Use ICC Profile" option,
> > found on the Save as PDF panel, Color tab?
>
> When pdf target is set to "Printer" and "Use ICC Profiles" checkboxes are
> not checked the pdf will be created with DeviceCMYK color space (open the
> pdf in a text editor or podofobrowser and check yourself). If a checkbox
> for "Use ICC Profiles" is checked then the color space will be ICCBased and
> colors will have their current icc profile embedded in the pdf for output
> device to be able to convert the colors to it's own color space.
>
> So if you have the correct printer profile already when creating the pdf I
> don't see any need for "Use ICC Profiles" since the pdf color space will be
> already correct for the target printer. If you know that your printer's

Sounds logical and inline with what one would expect. What triggered my doubts
were the bad results I got without checking the "Use ICC Profiles" option,
which I didn't expect to be necessary.

> setup can handle embedded profiles then there's no harm in using this
> option. There was a semi serious bug
> (http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=5416) related to this which was fixed
> 10 or so minutes ago. So you may want to wait till the anoncvs is synced
> and try yourself.
>
> A test pdf with DeviceCMYK color space can be seen at
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/rikle/cmyk-test-fixed.pdf There are three images
> on the pdf the top most one is converted to cmyk in PS middle one in Krita
> and the last one has been converted by Scribus (was a RGB image when
> imported to Scribus). All conversions were made with similar setup using
> ECI ISO Coated V2 profile.

Will check CVS later.

Thanks
Gustavo

Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt