[Scribus] Debugging Scribus

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000
Mon Mar 5 08:25:31 CET 2007

At 12:23 PM 2/4/2007, Gustavo Homem wrote:
> > 4) How would I do the build process using either the Suse rpm or the
> > tar archive?
> >
>tar zxvf scribus-
>cd scribus-
>(install the missing xxxx-devel packages if the script complains about
>missing libs)
>make install (as root)

I have succeeded in doing this. Now I am trying to debug the crash I
get on printing, print previewing, or exporting to PDF. This crash is
due to std::bad_alloc being thrown from QString::grow, according to
gdb. I have submitted a bug report on this (#5262).

It seems the executable built by the above process doesn't include
debugging information for Qt, and maybe not for the other libraries.
I have now downloaded what I hope is correct to build on my
system (IA32, Fedora Core 6):

scribus-        Installed successfully using
package installer
scribus-devel-  Missing dependency freetype2-devel
scribus-         Can't install; package installer
"Cannot install source packages"
scribus-debug-  Installed successfully using
package installer

So here are my questions:

1) How do I install the src.rpm in such a way that Scribus can be built?
2) What is in scribus-devel and scribus-debug?
3) How do I do the build so as to include debugging information for
all libraries?
4) Where do I find the freetype2-devel package? rpmfind shows a
package "FreeType development libraries and header files, Fedora Core
6 updates for i386,
that looks like the right thing, but attempting to download it gets
an ftp error 550, "Failed to change directory".
5) Are there plans to change from Qt 3 to Qt 4?

Any other tips on debugging will be welcomed.