[Scribus] Q: Adding image with transparency

Greg Hill bettyandgreg
Tue Mar 6 02:19:33 CET 2007

This is an area where I have a little expertise, so I'll make a
suggestion. Before you save your image as a .png file in GIMP, use the
"select by color" tool with about a 20-25% threshold,select the white
area of your photo, invert the selection, then cut to the clipboard.
Next, select "edit > paste as new" and save the resulting image as
a .png (to preserve the transparency). You should then be able to import
directly into Scribus, using the image frame and "get image".The key is
to remove the white from your photo before saving it as a png.

The 20-25% tolerance I suggest above is only a guideline. You may have
to use more or less, depending on the photo.I don't normally "create" a
layer in Scribus to place the photo. It just sort of happens
automatically.

I work at a newspaper, and frequently use the above procedure when
placing photos with transparency and it usually works. Good luck with
this. Let me know how you make out with it.

Regarding your second point, I don't believe you can "paste" directly
into Scribus. You must use the image frame and "get image" to place the
image. You are right when you say this is a better way to do it, since
you still have the original image to fall back on if things go wrong,
which they will from time to time.
Greg