[Scribus] Google Summer of Code 2007

Timo Stollenwerk timo
Thu Mar 8 14:33:40 CET 2007

Hello Alexandre,

my name is Timo Stollenwerk and I'm a student of computer science at
bonn university. I'm currently preparing my diploma thesis in which I
would like to develop a publishing workflow solution for the production
of a print magazine.

My idea is pretty much the same as proposed in the Scribus wiki:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Draft_of_end-to-end_publishing_solution

Basicly I would like to integrate Scribus into a CMS application where
the CMS app provides all the content and changes in Scribus are written
back into the CMS. The CMS should also be able to generate layout
templates that are able to adapt to different content elements and sizes
(and not just provide fixed copy holes for the content).

Until now I've played around a bit with the generation of .sla files out
of a cms and layout generation with the scribus python API.

While I was looking for use cases for my thesis I found the proposal of
the development of a publishing workflow at the scribus bug tracker:

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3100

I've contacted the authors of the initial posting and found out that
they already developed a working solution for an automated publishing
worklflow with Typo3 and XML Technologies (XML, XSLT, FO) for their T3N
magazine (www.t3n-magazin.de).

I' going to meet them at March 22th and discuss the integration of
Scribus as fat-client into their cm-system and I'll take a look at what
they've archived so far with their automated system. I don't know if
their current solution is released under an open source licence, but I
would definitely release my code as open source (if I achieve something
useful of course).

The participation of the gsoc program would be a great opportunity for
me to develop such a solution and to get support in my efforts from a
experienced Scribus developer. I think such a solution could be
beneficial for the scribus community and could convince more people to
use scribus as DTP program.

Beside my university studies I'm a Zope/Plone Developer, so Plone
(www.plone.org) would be my preference as CMS, but I'm not stuck with it
if there are other preferences.

What do I have to do to participate in the gsoc Programm? Is there
already a mentor for the end-to-end publishing solution?

Timo