[Scribus] grayscale images imported as RGB?

Vladimir Savic vlada
Tue Mar 13 06:51:32 CET 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:46:12 jon wrote:

> >> I think scribus should (as most layout applications I know) use the
> >> provided colorspace of the
> >> imported images or eps (think this is what you intended) and don't
> >> apply colorspaces different
> >> from that. Colorspace conversion might be fine - but this IMO should
> >> be handled as a seprate feature.
> >>
> >> Isn't it possible to set grayscale images to DeviceGray - RGB to
> >> DeviceRGB - CMYK to DeviceCMYK if
> >> there is no profile provided, otherwise read out the appended profile
> >> and simply use it?
> >> IMO image data shall never be processed nor converted anyway if not
> >> intended or needed.
> >>
> >> That might not help you in your case, but if you know how would you
> >> like to add your wishes (if)
> >> to the scribus wish list? (I don't know how to do this by myself)
> >>
> >> For now according to what Vlada says tinting the image with the
> >> grayscale "effect" might lead to some
> >> solution. But I don't think it will, because scribus' choice of
> >> profile stays the same: RGB-input.
> >
> > Try! And prove you're wrong!
>
> Hey, don't be so harsh ! "I think" is meant to say "I think" not "I
> prove".
> Calm down.

Apologies! Didn't want to be that cruel. :)
It wasn't my intention to insult you, if I managed to do so. Mind you, English
is not my primary spoken language. :)

And sorry again if it looked like I had to be "calmed down". According to one
of mine previous sentences, the whole incident was probably caused by my
imprecise English terminology. Sorry again!

> BTW showing gs images as RGB and output them gs belongs to more
> "magic" features, don't you agree?

Absolutely! Grayscale images should be labeled as "grayscale". Period! What
would be internal conversion method, I really don't mind...

> > Tested with Acrobar Pro from CS creative suite.
> > RGB input is not a bad solution at the first place. :)
>
> May be - may not, this very much depends on the workflow and, mmm,
> "philosophy"  :)

Ideally, combination would be the best solution. At least how I can see the
problem from this (mine) standpoint... Give a year or so for me to study
"Real World Color Management". Second edition of this publication has just
arrived to me... :)

Vlada