[Scribus] grayscale images imported as RGB?

Vladimir Savic vlada
Tue Mar 13 14:40:36 CET 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 21:37:45 Terence Chan wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance but why is it important/deirable to have greyscale
> images on the K plate only? I finished a book recently with lots
> of greyscale images colour profiled in RGB/CMYK PDF (set to "printer").
> The page proofs from the printer look just like what I wanted, so what's
> wrong with that?

"...page proofs from the printer..." What is the printer in this story? Your
small home printer (laser or inkjet)?

And to answer directly to your question: It IS really important to print grays
on K channel only if you want more then one but less then four (CMYK) colors.
I, for example, wanted my brochure to be printed using Magenta and Black
offset colors only. Pictures and texts should be in grayscale (K offset plate
only) and some typographical decoration on M plate. It would be very bad to
have grays composed of Black AND Magenta which would certainly happen if
grayscale images aren't in grayscale color space (Black color raster, that
is).

Maybe I've failed to describe what the problem is. If so, someone please pop
in and explain better. :)

Vlada