[Scribus] Versions of Scribus and Ubuntu - the saga continues

Elaine de Saxe coolowl
Wed Mar 14 06:25:22 CET 2007

Good morning all ...

> The Synaptic menu option that you need should be between
> "Preferences" &
> "Filters".
That menu item is 'repositories' and as I've already said, all it
offers when I select it is 'software preferences' with the three tabs
being 'installation media' 'internet updates' and 'authentication'.

As it happens, I did manage to add 'deb http://debian.scribus.net/
debian dapper main restricted' (without the quote) as a 'channel'
whatever that may mean. Regardless of what it means, or doesn't mean,
that line of typing didn't stay there - there is no 'save' function
in the 'software preferences' window. I thought I had got it figured
but since it's now back to what it was (no way that I can see to add
a new repository) I haven't accomplished much except to waste
precious time.

> If it's not there, then please check if you still have 'software-
> properties-gtk' installed
Where is it? I tried 'software properties' in admin and got the same !
@#$ window I got when I tried to add a repository - namely 'software
preferences'.

So I tried the find file search, selecting the file system as the
place to search. There is (according to the search thing) no such file.

What files are there or not there, is a product of the software which
does the upgrading, I've not removed anything.

> BTW: what Ubuntu version are you using?  (The repository
> configuration dialog has changed between versions.)
The place I would go to find out this kind of information yielded
nothing worthwhile. I looked in 'places' and chose 'computer'. There
is nothing there about what version of the OS - I started with a disk
with 5.10 on it and there has been many hours of downloading and
installing upgrades. So what it is now, I can only guess. If there's
some way to find out definitely, please tell me. Not being able to
find out info of this basic kind at the touch of a menu is one of the
reasons why I'm hovering on the brink of trashing the lot and trying
something else.

I tried 'about Ubuntu' and got other stuff about some upgrade thingy
I went and installed - 6.06LTS - I believe I'm using 6.10 but I have
no evidence to support that.

> No, I mean the official repository (just pointing out that Elaine
> got this "only 1.2.x" wrong).
You may think so. Since I used Synaptic to get Scribus for me, all it
could find was version '1.2.4.1dfsg-1ubunt' as I read it in Synaptic
right now. And according to Synaptic, that is the latest version. So
far as I am concerned, Synaptic got it wrong, since whoever designed
it did not allow for adding repositories.

Probably it would be a more certain outcome had I chosen to
understand the terminal rather than fiddling about with GUIs. I
originally chose Macs because of the simplicity of operation. Start
out young and master the terminal. Start out on computers at
retirement age and (speaking personally) relish the simplicity of the
GUI since I'm not interested in programming; I'm interested in living
and enjoying my remaining years. And not tearing my hair out over an
OS which has several design flaws and is not enjoyable to use.

So: is there a linux distro or distros which work particularly well
with Scribus and get the updates without having to be told via lines
of text in a terminal? I have available: Mint, Mepis, Damn Small,
Zen, Kubuntu, Fedora.

As always, thank you to the listas for their help :-)

Elaine