[Scribus] Different Distros - different versions of Scribus?

Jan Claeys lists
Wed Mar 14 19:37:06 CET 2007

On di, 2007-03-13 at 15:07 -0600, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> * Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> [2007-03-13 19:54:30 +0100]:
>
> > On di, 2007-03-13 at 11:21 -0600, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> > > * Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> [2007-03-13 14:26:59 +0100]:

> > > It should be 1.3.3.8. Are you using our edgy repository?
> >
> > No, I mean the official repository (just pointing out that Elaine got
> > this "only 1.2.x" wrong).

Note: there was an update in Feisty today (or late yesterday?), which
means I have an "official" 1.3.3.8 now.  :-)

> > (Actually, this "dfsg" in the version string means that this is a
> > recompiled Debian package that has something from upstream excluded--is
> > there anything non-free in the Scribus source tarball?)
>
> Documentation is non-free.

Aha, using the GNU FDL probably?

> > > If the scribus-ng from edgy doesn't work on feisty please tell me and
> > > I'll build a package and start another branch in our repos.
> >
> > Why don't you create official packages & backports for Ubuntu
> > instead?  ;-)
> > That would make things easier for most Ubuntu users...
>
> It is my understanding that the official Ubuntu package of Scribus is a
> rebuild of the package that I as a Debian Developer uploaded into Debian
> before Ubuntu pulled their Debian/sid snapshot as a base for their new
> release.

That's correct, but some other Ubuntu packages have newer versions than
Debian (or are not available yet in Debian).  It's just a matter of
someone taking care of it.

In this case, it seems like you are doing regular updates in Debian
already, and someone from Ubuntu is following this.

> Since I already make Ubuntu packages & backports for the latest 2-3
> releases and provide them from our upstream repositories I know that those
> Ubuntu users who spent a minute of their time on adding our repository and
> archive key to their package manager would have the latest Scribus release
> when I package it. It seems to me that with the current Ubuntu mode of
> operations achieving the goal of having the latest Scribus package in 2-3
> recent releases would be extremely difficult and is just not worth the
> trouble.

Well, it depends, you or someone else working with you could make sure
to get your packages into Ubuntu, which would make them available for
all supported architectures.  It seems like this is already happening
for the development version (pre-release) but maybe not for backports.

> Of course I could be wrong, so I'd be happy to learn from you how the Ubuntu
> mode of operation (branch a snapshot of Debian sid, add/change Ubuntu-only
> stuff, release)

There are several syncs from 'sid' during the first months of
development, with the possibility for Ubuntu developers to request
(motivated) manual syncs even after the "upstream version freeze" is in
effect.  And it seems like this is already happening.

--
Jan Claeys