[Scribus] Google Summer of Code 2007

Steve Herrick estebandido
Fri Mar 16 00:22:51 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> I think there is a decided asymmetry of content. Something like the
> relationship between TIFF and JPEG. HTML is an imprecise, relative
> format that adjusts to its environment, while Scribus defines a strict
> environment, with high precision. So going from Scribus to HTML is
> feasible, though certainly requiring some significant work. Going from
> HTML to Scribus creates many problems, just like going from JPEG to TIFF
> would.

I'm not clear why this would be, if you actually treat HTML as the
markup language it is, and didn't try to use it for layout. HTML was
only ever meant to give a document structure, not design -- that's
what CSS is for. Scribus should have no difficulty with structured
documents.

Granted, there are an awful lot of folks who can't wrap their heads
around this concept, but I don't feel any obligation to plan around
them.

--
Steve Herrick

Que si las manos son nuestras