[Scribus] How to pronounce Scribus

Maciej Hanski ma_han2000
Sat Mar 17 20:46:43 CET 2007

John Jason Jordan napisał(a):
---snip---
> Everyone knows that English orthography
> went into the dumper after the Great Vowel Shift of the 1600s, and has
> been there ever since. We're 400 years late for spelling reform. We're
> so past due I'm surprised the rest of the world hasn't foreclosed and
> evicted us from the planet.

:) This is most interesting and I like your narrative style, I didn't
know of the English Great Vowel Shift, I only knew German speakers had
managed to shift their vowels too (apart from some resistant Alemanni
people), but caution, spelling reforms are very controversial, this is
what German speaking countries did to their children and us, foreign
German speakers, throwing us back into illiteracy after years of learning:)

> Re how it otter be pronounced in English:
> (In the following all vowels in [] have the values of the International
> Phonetic Alphabet. If some of the characters are not appearing
> correctly you may have to set your e-mail client to use UTF-8 and a
> font containing IPA characters.)
> Before the Great Vowel Shift i was pronounced [i]. After the Great
> Vowel Shift it had fallen and diphongized so it is now pronounced [aj],
> [ɑj] or [ǝj], depending on your dialect. However, this occurred only
> when the syllable was stressed, and this was most common when the vowel
> in the following syllable was (originally) [ǝ], which at that time was
> usually spelled e. Thus before the Great Vowel Shift "scribe" was
> pronounced [skrib], the final [ǝ] having been lost earlier during the
> Middle English period. (From rhymes in Chaucer we know that pronouncing
> the final [ǝ] was already optional in his time.) After the Great Vowel
> Shift it had become [skrajb] or [skrɑjb] (the dialectal variant [ǝj]
> occurs only before voiceless stops).
>
> The problem with "Scribus" is that the vowel of the second syllable is
> not silent as it is in "scribe." If it were the i should be pronounced
> [aj] or [É‘j], depending on the speaker's dialect. That the e is not
> silent means that the i must be pronounced [ɪ] or [i]. However, we
> generally use the [i] pronunciation only for words that have been
> borrowed recently. Thus, I can just about guarantee you that if you put
> the word "Scribus" in front of a hundred native English speakers and
> ask them how to pronounce it, the response will be overwhelmingly
> [skrɪbǝs], with a few choosing [skrajbǝs].

Wow, thank you, I learned a lot from these explanations. And you are my
hero, since you obviously did find a way to type IPA characters with
your keyboard -- I gave up before even trying.

M.