[Scribus] PDF generated from Scribus doesn't print right

avox avox
Wed Mar 28 03:04:06 CEST 2007

John Beale wrote:
> John Beale wrote:
>>  > I generated this PDF with Scribus:
>>  > http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/problem.pdf
>>  > and although it opens fine on Adobe Reader, whenever I try to print it
>>  > result is half a page of pixelated content, along with a perfect
>> half...
>>  >
>> http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/print_result.png
> just FWIW, when I tried printing page one of "problem.pdf" from Acrobat 7
> (WinXP) on my 600 dpi laserprinter, the resolution was "reasonable", that
> is to say the small text was clearly legible. Not perfect, there was
> slight
> fringing on edges as you expect from a JPEG file at medium quality.
> However page one in the PNG example above is (I would estimate) about 8
> times lower in actual resolution and the small text is in no way visible,
> since individual pixels are the size of entire letters.
> With this kind of resolution loss I could not describe it as anything but
> bug.  I would expect only a factor of two loss even for the worst-case
> scaling errors in the worst algorithm, and of course it should be much
> less.

You are right there. In this case the bug would be with the print driver.
Linux distribution?
CUPS version?
Ghostscript version? (the gs which is used by CUPS and kghostview)

The image looks consistent with a half-loaded progressive jpeg, so it
could be a ghostscript bug related to jpegs.