[Scribus] 1.3.3.8 TrueType font problem in PDF ?

John Beale beale
Wed May 2 04:12:28 CEST 2007

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
 > First, make sure that your font is actually a quality font, not a cheap
rip-off.

I don't know where this font came from but since Scribus works fine with my
other fonts, I assume it is a problem with the font, so a bug report is not
welcome? Still, I am puzzled by how it can be that the font looks fine on
screen when I compose the text in Scribus, but the exported PDF switches
all the characters around.

Note: I was able to generate a correct PDF using this same font in MS
Publisher (Print to Adobe PDF 'printer' device). For that PDF, Acrobat 7 in
Document Properties/Fonts says:

EdwardianScriptITC (Embedded Subset)
Type: TrueType
Encoding: Ansi

...whereas with the Scribus-exported (and messed-up) PDF, Acrobat 7
Document Properties/Fonts says:

EdwardianScriptITC (Embedded)
Type: TrueType
Encoding: Custom

Is something about "Ansi" vs "Custom" font encoding that is at issue? Is
one or both of these programs re-encoding the font? I know nothing about
font programming. I am just reporting this in case it helps anyone else.