[Scribus] Kerning problems with pdftotext

Plinnell mrdocs
Wed May 23 23:11:18 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, lucien.taylor at oxil.co.uk wrote:
> We are using pdftotext to strip out text from pdf's to prepare for
> search indexing and more.  This works well except with our own
> pdf's (produced in Scribus) which getting badly broken up - we
> suspect through kerning.  The text generated is simply fragmented
> into meaningless chunks. It remains in sequential order and some
> words are fine, but generally it's not working.
>
> We are using (the great) Bitstream Vera which looks so good both on
> screen and in print, however we are also getting the same effect
> when we convert our text to Arial.
>
> 1. Has anybody experienced this?  Is this a pdftotext thing?
> 2. Are there alternative pdf-to-text parsers that anyone would
> recommend?
>
> Lucien
> Oxford Information Labs

Hi,

It is a known issue in Scribus because Scribus uses absolute
positioning of all glyphs to assure on-screen presentation is
*really* what gets printed.

It is not ideal and there is a bug for it, but it is a low priority
item at the moment.

HTH,
Peter