[Scribus] Example of what...[OT]

avox avox
Sat Oct 6 18:14:08 CEST 2007

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> dbeach at klikmaker.com wrote:
>> This is my first submission to this mailing list. If it's not
>> appropriate for this list, I apologize in advance.
>>
>> http://www.klikmaker.com/pdf/211TestPage.pdf

> The problems go back to the page's purpose, in this case to attract a
> customer to the page, and then allow him/her to extract the needed
> information and use it. In the end, the necessary information is the
> names and descriptions of the items, and the catalog numbers. Everything
> else is arbitrary, including the white spaces in various areas, and
> should be used to help the eye home in on the necessary information and
> allow easy reading.
> Generally I see all the headers and descriptions, most of the pictures
> as reasonably appropriate for this. On the other hand, the horizontal
> red lines, and the various black lines, while perhaps (but maybe not)
> necessary, draw attention needlessly to them -- the brain is
> perceptually drawn to red, and there are parts of the brain that get
> quite excited with horizontal or vertical lines, especially in rows.

Aye, but that's for race drivers, they would be used to getting excited, no?
:-)

But I'd also remove some of the black lines in the lower tables, comparable
to what is done in the first table. Columns with repeated elements like "14
X 4" are difficult to read. Better just write it once.

I'd also separate the color code at the end of the part numbers with a
hyphen or a small space.

All in all I'd say the design is ok for a catalog. I've definitely seen
worse. The good thing about catalogs is that people read them anyway. Maybe
digging for information appeals to our hunter-and-gathering instincts. :-)

/Andreas